This was inspired by a Rachael Ray recipe I read called "Inside-Out Turkey Bacon Cheeseburgers". This one is make with ground beef and regular bacon, with a couple other variations.
- Arrange the bacon in a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Slowly crisp up the bacon, cooking for 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Remove the bacon from the skillet, and, when cool, chop.
- Add the EVOO to the remaining drippings and set aside.
- Place the lean ground beef in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper, and mix in the mustard powder.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a burger, making a well in the center.
- Fill the well of each with one quarter of the crisp bacon pieces and 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Carefully form the burger around the cheese and bacon filling, making sure the filling is completely covered.
- Return the skillet you cooked the bacon in to medium-high heat.
- Add the burger patties to the hot skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the burgers for 5 to 6 minutes longer, turning occasionally. Do not press down on the burgers as they cook.
- Serve each burger on a bed of lettuce topped with sliced tomato and chopped pickles.
Wow, this was delicious!!! Of course it has everything on (and in) it that I love on a burger! Being the cheese-addicts that we are, we had to add cheese to the top as well!! I also did not use the pickle (personal preference). Will definitely make again! May try grilling them the next time! Thanks for sharing NELady!! Made for Photo tag.