Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Sushi: Easy Recipes for Making Sushi at Home by Emi Kazuko, Fiona Smith and Elsa Petersen-Schepelern, a great little reference book with beautiful photos. The nutty, salty cashews and creamy avocado make this sushi roll great. Use Easy Sushi Rice (In Rice Cooker) #315511, you will need about one-third of this recipe, prep time does not include cooking the rice.
- 1 large avocado (or 2 small avocado)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (preferably Japanese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (optional)
- 3 ounces cashews (roasted, salted cashews work well)
- 3 -4 chives
- 2 sheets nori, seaweed cut in half
- 2 cups cooked rice, seasoned with sushi vinegar seasoning (see #315511 Easy Sushi Rice)
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- Peel the avocado and cut into small chunks. Put in a bowl with the lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and wasabi, if using. Toss and mash slightly, but not until mushy. Divide into 4 portions.
- Chop the cashews very finely and put in a bowl. Chop the chives very finely and mix with the cashews. Divide into 4 portions.
- Divide rice into 4 portions.
- Mix 1 cup water with the rice vinegar in a small bowl and set aside to use as hand vinegar, to rinse your hands and keep the rice from sticking.
- Put a sheet of plastic wrap on the rolling mat. Put 1/2 sheet of nori on top, rough side up with the long edge towards you. Dip your fingers in the hand vinegar, take 1 portion of the seasoned, vinegared rice and spread it out in a thin layer over the nori, leaving about 3/4" bare on the far edge.
- Sprinkle one portion of the nut and chive mixture on top of the rice and press it in gently with your fingers.
- Carefully lift the whole thing up and flip it over so the rice is face down on the plastic wrap. To make this easier, you can lay another piece of plastic wrap on top of the rice, flip everything over, and remove the extra piece of plastic wrap next to the nori.
- Put 1 portion of the avocado in a line along the long edge of the nori closest to you.
- Using the rolling mat, carefully roll it up, then cut in half, then cut each half into 3 pieces, giving 6 pieces.
- Repeat to make 4 rolls, for a total of 24 pieces.