Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I heavily modified this recipe from Jane Massey at allrecipes.com. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bran-Flax-Muffins/Detail.aspx I was on the hunt for the healthiest muffins ever and I couldn't find the right recipe, so I decided to mess with that one. Although, I am not vegan my roommate is and I knew I would need her help with the eating. These are sooo delicious! I went into these thinking they would be barely edible, but they ended up being really, really great and (or although) they do taste healthy. So if you don't like healthy food, this may not be the recipe for you!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 3⁄4 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini or 2 cups carrots
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup raspberries or 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup other berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, flax seed, wheat germ, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, fruit, applesauce and vegetables.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until just mixed. It will look too thick at the beginning, but you'll get it mixed up.
- Fill prepared muffin cups batter, they only rise a bit.
- Bake at 350 F (175 degrees C) for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
These muffins are fantastic! I used 1 cup zucchini and 1 cup carrot and blueberries. Packed with proteina and fiber, good for you and good tasting. What more can you ask for?