Ms. Carolina's Note:
I heavily modified this recipe from Jane Massey at allrecipes.com. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bran-Flax-Muffins/Detail.aspx I was on the hunt for the healthiest muffins ever and I couldn't find the right recipe, so I decided to mess with that one. Although, I am not vegan my roommate is and I knew I would need her help with the eating. These are sooo delicious! I went into these thinking they would be barely edible, but they ended up being really, really great and (or although) they do taste healthy. So if you don't like healthy food, this may not be the recipe for you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup natural bran
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini or 2 cups carrots
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3/4-1 1/2 cup raspberries or 3/4-1 1/2 cup other berries
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together flour, flax seed, wheat germ, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, fruit, applesauce and vegetables.
- 4Combine wet and dry ingredients until just mixed. It will look too thick at the beginning, but you'll get it mixed up.
- 5Fill prepared muffin cups batter, they only rise a bit.
- 6Bake at 350 F (175 degrees C) for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Insanely Healthy Vegan Bran Flax Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.3
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 364.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: