Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was browsing the All Recipes website for low fat recipes and found this. It was posted by by Tianne and she says you can throw anything that you have in your fridge into this chili. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really good.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, with liquid, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onions, carrots, and garlic until tender. Stir in green pepper, red pepper, celery, and chili powder.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, and cook 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and corn.
- Season with cumin, oregano, and basil.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I am thrilled to have found and tried this recipe! I'm always on the look-out for dishes to serve on "Meatless Monday" so decided to try this and I have to say, it is absolutely wonderful! It's so tasty and filling, and I really didn't miss the meat at all. The slight changes I made were to omit the red pepper since I had none, used diced tomatoes, 2 8 oz cans undrained mushrooms rather than fresh, 2 cans pinto beans instead of the kidney, and just 1 tsp cumin. Loved it!!!!!
This was great! I didn't put the basil in, because I couldn't find it. I also added a bit of agave to it. I served it with cornbread. YUM.
This is very good, and so quick and easy! I agree with other reviewers; I prefer not to eat the gunk that they put in canned beans LOL so I added veggie broth instead of the bean liquid. I also used frozen mixed veggies for the corn b/c I forgot to get corn. I think I'm a little funny about mushrooms in soup, but that's a personal preference thing. The spice level is just right, and it is quite flavorful despite the lack of lots of extra sodium. I can see why this made Starry's Best of 2008 cookbook :).