Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from Luigi Carnacina's "Great Italian Cooking". He calls it Summer Salad, which I think is only half-true. Any salad recipe calling for fresh asparagus means Spring has sprung to me. This doubles well and is a tasty and colorful addition to a lunch buffet. The recipe says to use 1 cup of vinaigrette but I've never used that much. So drizzle it on with caution and use the rest for future salads. And try and cook the asparagus, beans and artichoke hearts to the "al dente" (8 minutes and poke) point so it doesn't become Mushy Spring Salad.
- 18 asparagus spears, cooked to bright green & firm, chopped in 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, cooked & halved
- 6 artichoke hearts, cooked & sliced (or canned artichokes, rinsed & drained)
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded & quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or any desired fresh herb)
- salt and pepper
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Put the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper & fresh herbs in a small jar and shake vigorously.
- Drizzle as much of the viniagrette as you like over the salad and toss lightly.
Very good. Everyone loved it. Perfect cool veggie dish for spring and summer. I will be making this again.