Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a Cooking Light Recipe from 2004 and makes a wonderful side dish for grilled main coarses.
- 3 inch pita bread
- 9.85 ml garlic, bottled minced
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese, part-skim preshredded
- 118.29 ml vidalia onions or 118.29 ml other sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 236.59 ml grape tomatoes, quartered
- 59.14 ml kalamata olive, pitted coarsely chopped
- 29.58 ml basil leaves, chopped
- 946.36 ml gourmet salad greens
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread 1/2 teaspoon garlic on each pita. Sprinkle each pita with 1/4 cup cheese, and divide onion evenly among pitas. Bake at 475° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cheese is bubbly.
- While pitas bake, combine vinegar, oil, and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in tomatoes, olives, and basil. Add salad greens, and toss gently to coat.
- Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each pita with about 1 cup salad. Serve immediately.
Loved it! A bit messy to eat, but its like a "reverse salad".....the croutons are on the bottom! LOL! The heat from the pita was just enough to slightly wilt the greens. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag.