Italian Country Salad from the Trentino-Alto Adige Region - compliments of the great Lidia Bastianich. At times I have also added string beans or peas (1 cup) to this salad (add to boiling water for a few minutes after the potatoes)
- Fill pot with 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Tear off any tough leaves at the base of the cauliflower (reserve any small, tender leaves) and cut out the core. Break or cut the large branches into small florets, drop them and any tender leaves into the boiling water and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Lift from water, drain well in colander. When cool, place in a large bowl.
- Return water to boil and drop in potatoes. Cook at a gentle boil until a knife blade pierces the center easily, don't let them get too mushy.
- Drain and cool.
- Cut into 1/4" dice (peel skin if you wish) and put them in bowl with cauliflower.
- Peel and core apples, cut into 1/4" dice and add to salad.
- Trim radishes, quarter them in wedges and add them to the salad along with diced red onion, cubes of Asiago and toasted walnuts.
- Sprinkle with salt and toss. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the salad and toss.
- Sprinkle on the parsley, toss and serve.