Recipe by MsPia
Italian Chicken Salad
Top Review by Ppaperdoll
We loved this. It was very easy to put together, and very very yummy! I did make a couple of substitutions: I used 1/4 cup oil, and 1/4 cup water to the dressing, and had to substitute red onion for the shallots. I didn't have any brocconcini, so I used 3/4 cup shredded mozzerella. You do need to add all the dressing. (I thought at first that it seemed a lot, but there's not a lot of flavour in the chicken or cheese, so it needs all the dressing. And a word of caution: watch the crutons carefully. I nearly burned mine! My husband's even asked for a print out of the recipe so he can make it himself. I guess that means this is a keeper! Thanks Ms. Pia!
For the croutons
- 4 cups cubes Italian bread (from a 1/2 lb crusty round loaf)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For the vinaigrette dressing
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken (1/2 lb, from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella balls, 6 oz)
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, torn into bite-size pieces (3/4 lb total)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 1 cup assorted marinated oil-cured olives (5 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the croutons:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F
- Toss bread cubes with olive oil and salt in a large shallow baking pan and spread in 1 layer. Bake, turning over once, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack.
- Make vinaigrette dressing and begin preparing salad while croutons bake:
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients except olive oil in a small bowl until combined. Add olive oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Toss chicken and bocconcini mozzarella together with 1/4 cup vinaigrette in a bowl and let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Prepare the salad:
- Toss together romaine lettuce, red peppers, olives, chicken and bocconcini mixture, croutons, and remaining vinaigrette in a large bowl until combined. Makes 4 main-course servings.