Recipe by Chef Kate
A refreshing and colorful salad reflecting the abundance of seafood, vegetables and olive oil in and around the Amalfi coast. This salad, which may be served as an appetizer or entrée, actually improves as it sits so make it early in the day to allow the flavors to marry. Serve with a mixed green salad, crusty bread and a nice glass of chilled white wine. Adapted from Whole Foods. Serves 6 as an appetizer, 4 as a main dish
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped (about 2 TB)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 large sea scallops, dry, split into 16 rounds
- 1 lb squid ring, & tentacles cleaned
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided (coarse sea salt is preferable)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3⁄4 lb large shrimp, peeled & deveined, tail on (approx. 25 shrimp)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fennel, thinly sliced (white bulb only)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of (approx 4 TB)
- 1⁄4 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine half the olive oil with the garlic and crushed red pepper in a large sauté or frying pan and heat together over medium heat until the garlic begins to lightly brown (approximately 5 minutes). Be very careful not to burn the garlic as it will turn bitter.
- Once the garlic has browned, increase the heat to high and add the scallops. Sauté until the scallops just turn white (about 1-2 minutes), turn for a few seconds till just cooked through, then transfer the scallops to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Now, add shrimps and saute, tossing until shrimps become opaque and are just cooked; remove with slotted spoon to the same bowl.
- Next, add the calamari rings and tentacles to the hot pan and sauté until tender and opaque (approx 2-3 minutes). Transfer to the bowl with the scallops and shrimp and season with half the salt and pepper.
- While the seafood is still warm, mix in the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper along with the peppers, onion, fennel, lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley. Toss together well.
- Can be served immediately but the flavors develop as the salad sits. If not serving right away, refrigerate until serving time.