Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A great way to serve a simple toasted bread-tomatoes and cheese appetizer. The fancy name gives it a bit of style, but try not to talk with your mouth full. Inspired by several recipes including: Hannah Creek Farms - Tomato Basil Bruchetta recipe, and the Foodnetwork.com’s Bruchetta recipe.
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 lb tomatoes, firm, ripe, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup provolone cheese, cut into cubes
- 8 slices Italian bread, cut about 1/2 inch thick
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Combine the oil and garlic together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, basil, dried red pepper flakes, provolone cheese, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium-size bowl. Mix well.
- Preheat broiler.
- Brush one side of the bread slices with the olive oil/garlic mix.
- Lightly broil that side.
- Turn the pieces over and top with tomato mixture.
- Broil until the tomato mixture is hot, and the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.