Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 48 hrs
Overnight soaking not included in preparation time. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Soak herring overnight.
- Drain; skin and remove all bones.
- Mix vinegar, pepper, sugar, crushed peppercorns and pour over herring.
- If the vinegar is very strong, dilute with water.
- Let stand for a few hours.
- When serving, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips diagonally across fish and arrange on a dish to look like a whole fillet.
- Garnish with minced onion.