Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Joy Ochs (Mom) - memories abound of always having the most delicious turkey ever served on this earth!
- Mix warm water with salt, first, whisking to make sure salt is dissolved.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Using a turkey injector or large bore needle & syringe, inject the mixture in to the turkey, trying to make sure you have all parts covered.
- Some will leak out -- tip pan, draw up, & re-inject to the best of your ability.
- Do NOT stuff this turkey (the stuffing draws the marinade & will taste overly strong of the marinade!).
- Roast, according to your turkey's size -- about 15 minutes per lb, breast down.
- For a 15 lb turkey, roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, 350 degrees for 2 hrs., 225 degrees for the last hour and a half.
- 1/2 hr before the turkey should be done, start checking its temperature. Be sure the thermometer is not touching a bone - Dark meat should be 175 degrees, the white breast meat should be 160 - 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven & let rest 15 - 20 minutes.
- TIP - save out 1/4 - 1/3 C of the marinade & use it as part of the liquid when making your stuffing/dressing separately.