Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a super-easy recipe, from the former Food Network host, for a savory rice dish. In spite of the cola it is not a sweet rice. This rice, says Hoffman, is a classic recipe in Columbia where she is from. The rice pairs well with pork loin or chicken or spicy whole fish. She gives an important hint for success: During cooking, when the liquid has almost completely evaporated there will be tunnels in the rice. That is the time to add the raisins and almonds. But, says Hoffman, resist the urge to stir them in. This is a mistake. Simply add them to the top of the rice, cover and finish cooking. Reicpe was posted on the Coca-Cola website.
- 22.18 ml vegetable oil
- 473.18 ml long-grain rice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 828.06 ml Coca-Cola
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 44.37 ml almonds, sliced or 44.37 ml almonds, slivered and lightly toasted
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook until it is opaque, about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- In a separate bowl, add the salt to the cola. Stir until dissolved. The cola will fizz up releasing some of the carbonation. Then add the cola to the rice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cooking until the liquid has almost completely evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Add the raisins and almonds over the top of the rice and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 10 more minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and serve.
Go to You Tube and type in Ingrid Hoffman- Coca-Cola Rice . Watch her make it, she does pour Coca-Cola in the rice and cooks it like the recipe says, not lke Chef # 1803053761 posted!!!
chevy1976 obviously did not read the instructions properly. You are supposed to cook the rice as per normal before adding the coca-cola.. It is definitely not strongly flavoured because it is supposed to be eaten with a meat dish. It is a rather interesting way to prepare rice!
The recommended liquid content (3.5 cups of Coke) is way less than that needed to hydrate 2 cups of rice! I needed 6 cups of coke. Good thing I bought the 2 liter bottle. Also the bland taste of this rice dish was a great disappointment for me.