Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe from Cook's.com is exactly what I'd been looking for. It's easy, and includes the flexible ingredient amounts,such as: may add chopped jalepeno pepper, to taste,and or 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. May omit creamed corn, or can omit, sugar or honey (not both) if you prefer a less sweet bread. I've found it to be delicious, no matter how I make it, and wanted to post it here for safe-keeping. Enjoy
- 2 teaspoons Crisco or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup creamed corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9" square pan with Crisco or butter.
- In a bowl, mix flour and cornmeal together.
- Stir in sugar,baking powder,salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, oil, honey and eggs.
- Gradually pour milk mixture into dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- For tender cornbread, do not over mix.
- Stir cream corn into batter, and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until cornbread is lightly golden brown.
Made exactly as written and I would not change a thing. The cornbread was perfect, lots of flavor, excellent texture, beautiful crumb, light and tender. Thanks for sharing a recipe arroz241 that has got my dh eating cornbread. I made the batter into jumbo muffins, it worked perfectly. I served the cornbread with special mashed potatoes and baked ham for a great meal. Made for Spring PAC 2012