(Use during C. T.) Staying hydrated is important during and after cancer treatment. Drinking water can help you feel better, boost energy levels, manage bowl issues like constipation and keep you from feeling run down. But it can be difficult to squeeze in your fluid requirements for the day. If you are experiencing taste changes during your treatment or tryinf to transition from drinking sugar-sweetened beverages to something healthier, infused water could be the perfect solution. Infusing water with flavors from fruits, vegetables, and herbs can add some of you favorite flavors without adding sugar, unwanted additives, or preservatives. Allison Mars is a senior in the dietetics program at Boston University and a volunteer at Dana-Farber. She is looking forward to a career as a clinical RD and loves cooking and sharing healthy food with everyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
HERBS AND SPICES
- 1Select your container. You can use any glass or BPA-free plastic container you like. Choose mason jars, pitchers, or water bottles depending on how/where you want to drink your water. Doing everything in a watter bottle can be great on the go, or you can make a whole pitcher of infused water that you store in your fridge to sip from throughout the day.
- 2Pick your produce. Choose any flavor combination that you think sounds good and add it to your container.
- 3Muddle your selected ingredients. Once you've placed everything in your container smash it a little bit with a wooden spoon or muddler. This helps to release some of the flavors and essential oils from your produce, which will add more flavor to your water.
- 4Add water. You can use either regular tap or filtered water or try plain sparkling water.
- 5Here are some sample combinations to try:.
- 6Grapefruit, cucumber and rosemary.
- 7Raspberry, lime.
- 8Pineapple, mint.
- 9Lemon, ginger (this can be helpful for nausea).
- 10Cucumber, watermelon, mint.
- 11Blueberry, basil, lemon.
- 12Pineapple, mango.
- 13Strawberry, cantaloupe.
- 14Cucumber, mint.
Browse Our Top Non-Alcoholic Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Non-Alcoholic Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Infused Water
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g