Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love to bake rice with other dishes in the oven and this is my favorite! You might want to add a little more water or broth depending on the type of rice you use. It is quick and delicious.
- chicken broth, 1 can
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 large onion, sliced and diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- spices, of choice (tarragon, parsley, pepper, Italian seasoning, etc)
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add onions and sauté until soft.
- Add any herbs or spices of choice (you don't have to add anything and it will still turn out well!) Put chicken broth, rice, and onion mixture into a a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 min to 1 hours. (Depending on the type of rice you use, this could only take 35 minutes so you should watch the liquid in this).
I made this as my 3rd recipe in Pick Your Chef July 2003. A very good rice dish, goes very well with a nice slab of protein on the side. I used Basmati rice and vegetable broth. The broth must not have been salty enough, because we needed to salt the rice at the table. Taste your broth for saltiness before you start cooking. A good recipe, leaves itself open to all sorts of variations!
I love that I can bake this while I'm making other things on the stove, and it comes out perfect everytime! I usually use oregano and basil when I make it, and have even added fresh spinach to it and let that cook down in it - really good!
We grilled porterhouse steaks this evening and I served this rice with it. I added a nice green salad. Perfect!!!! I used College Brand chicken broth. I loved being able to use my French Tarragon from my herb garden. This is a wonderful side dish that lends itself to a host of variations. Thanks again Deb K., for ANOTHER winner.