Recipe by FCR Gal
This family favorite was passed down from my great-aunt's next door neighbor to my mother over 30 years ago. It may be the best pound cake ever!
Top Review by Theresa P
This was a pleasure to make AND eat !! It had a silky, smooth, and moist texture that is great with stawberries, but even better plain (IMO). I love this cake (beats any BAKERY cake, hands down !) Thanks for sharing one of your family recipes ! It is a treasure and deserves many more than 5 stars!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 -3 teaspoons vanilla or 2 -3 teaspoons lemon extract or 2 -3 teaspoons almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar.
- Gradually add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture, alternating with sour cream. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Add vanilla, lemon or almond extract just mixing enough to blend.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.