Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
perfect, exotic lowfat and very flavorful
- 1 (16 ounce) package lite extra-firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 finely chopped serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- press the tofu to remove excess moisture (place it in a shallow dish, place a plate over it and one or two 16 oz cans on top of that. Let it stand until the excess liquid has drained from the tofu, 15-30 min.).
- cut tofu into 3/4 inches cubes and arrange on 6 skewers. Place in single layer in baking dish.
- Process remaining ingredients, except green onions, in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour over tofu kabobs and refrigerate, covered, 1 hours Drain, reserving marinade.
- bake tofu kabobos at 4oo degrees for 20 minute Mix green onions into reserved marinade and serve with kabobs.
This had terrific flavor. I had some issues with the texture - my tofu fell apart a bit and my sauce was a little thick so it kept it from getting a "crusty" outside in places. I will play with it a bit next time - maybe thin a bit of sauce out to really marinade and then use the rest when I serve it and maybe freeze the tofu first so it stays together better. Of course, the crumbling didn't keep me from wolfing it down as soon as it cooled enough to eat - LOL. If you aren't a tofu fan, you could definitely use the sauce for other things. This is the BEST sauce I've made at home ever. Awesome!