Indonesian-Style Grilled Eggplant With Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Sprinkle the eggplant lightly with salt, let it drain in a colander for 1 hour, and pat it dry.
- In a small saucepan cook the garlic, the shallot, and the chili in the sesame oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the peanuts, and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, the sugar, the lemon juice, and 1 cup water, bring to a boil and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it is thickened slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Brush the dried eggplant with the vegetable oil and grill it, turning it, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until it is just cooked. You can grill this outside over charcoal or on a stovetop or George Forman grill.
- Transfer the eggplant to a serving plate and spoon the peanut sauce over it.