Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This curry paste is pretty easy to make and good to make beef rendang and other curry dishes like chicken, vegetables, and even fried rice or fried noodles.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon galangal, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- Put chopped onion into the grinder or food processor.
- Put next 6 ingredients into pestle and grind them to coarse paste to release the flavour.
- Stir in the paste to the onion and grind them until they become fine paste.
- Toast coriander and cumin in low heat to release the flavour.
- Stir in toasted coriander, cumin, shrimp paste and salt to the paste and continue to grind them until paste become moist and fine.
- Heat up the oil in the saucepan in medium low heat.
- Pour the paste into the saucepan and stir occasionally and turn the heat to low when it gets hot and keep stirring in, all is about 10 minute.
- Cool off the paste before storing it.