1/2 Photos of Indonesian-Style Chicken Curry
1 hr 15 mins
Another find from my favourite paper, Weekly Times. I used chicken breast's as the family do not like chicken thigh. This curry is not too hot or spicy, with a beautiful sauce that clings to the chicken. This is a great meal to serve with rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 10cm, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 -6 sticks cinnamon (about 10cm each)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tied into a knot
- 1 1/2 kg chicken thighs, and legs
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- jasmine rice, for serving
- 1Finely grind the coriander and chilli flakes in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Put the spice mixture into a small food processor with the garlic, onions and ginger and puree to a paste. Adding 1-2 tablespoons of water, if necessary.
- 2Heat the oil in a large casserole or saucepan with lid, over medium-low heat. Add the paste.
- 3Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 5-7 minutes.
- 4Add lime leaves, cinnamon and lemongrass. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cinnamon is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 5Increase the heat to medium, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- 6Stir in 1 only cup of coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups of water and the salt.
- 7Simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, 40-50 minutes.
- 8Add the remaining coconut milk; cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Let cool for 15 minutes before serving with rice, leaving the cinnamon sticks behind.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian-Style Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1427.0
- Calories from Fat 825
- Total Fat 91.7 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 315.0 mg
- Sodium 781.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 77.4 g
- Protein 67.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves