Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another find from my favourite paper, Weekly Times. I used chicken breast's as the family do not like chicken thigh. This curry is not too hot or spicy, with a beautiful sauce that clings to the chicken. This is a great meal to serve with rice.
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 10cm, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 -6 sticks cinnamon (about 10cm each)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tied into a knot
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken thighs, and legs
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- jasmine rice, for serving
- Finely grind the coriander and chilli flakes in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Put the spice mixture into a small food processor with the garlic, onions and ginger and puree to a paste. Adding 1-2 tablespoons of water, if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or saucepan with lid, over medium-low heat. Add the paste.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 5-7 minutes.
- Add lime leaves, cinnamon and lemongrass. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cinnamon is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 only cup of coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups of water and the salt.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, 40-50 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk; cook for 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving with rice, leaving the cinnamon sticks behind.
This was delicious and had a wonderful aroma while cooking. The only changes I made was to use two small fresh chillies instead of the flakes and sprinkled a little turmeric over the paste at step 4 to add a little more colour. I used a little less chicken but the full quantity of everything else so there was plenty of the wonderful curry to go over the rice.
Tisme, what can I say .... Fabulous :) Rich, creamy and aromatic, this is a luxurious curry, especially suited to those who prefer less heat. For my personal taste, I would have added a little more in the way of heat, but DH really loved it as is! It was just the 2 of us so I halved the recipe ... well, more than halved the meat, since we dont eat much in the way of meat (and I used chicken breast fillets, cubed), maybe 3/4d the sauce, since we do love sauce ...... I did think some steamed broccoli tossed in would have been wonderful, didnt do it this time but will the next. I shouldnt have halved it, coz now we have no leftovers :( and I know they would have been stupendous ........ just have to make it again :) Thanks, Tis, this recipe was made for the Aus/NZ Please Make My Recipe tag game.