Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb white rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- scallion, chopped
- Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and chilies and stir until onion is translucent.
- Mix in turmeric and cinnamon.
- Add rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, bay leaf and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle green onions on top before serving.
Loved it. Served with Crock Pot Indonesian Beef Recipe #130534. Used my rice cooker. I softened up the onions by just cooking them a few minutes in a bit of oil, then literally dumped all ingredients in my rice cooker and switched it on. Twenty minutes later - perfect. Would make again stir in chicken after done for a one dish meal. Keeper.
This is wonderful!!! I just finished having this for dinner with Braised Pork in Soy Sauce and it is now a favorite meal in this house! My husband and I gobbled every last bit of it up and loved every second of it! I would definitely recommend trying this recipe! There is such a wonderful blend of flavors and the cinammon is a really great twist!! Absolutely wonderful recipe!!!
This rice has so many nice flavors and just a bit of spicy hot. I didnt have turmeric so I substituted ground mustard and used 8 ounces of brown rice. The cinnamon is perfect to pull all the flavors together! Thank you LikeItLoveIt for a wonderful side dish. I served this with Braised Pork in Soy Sauce.