Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Rujak provides a fruity interest in this exotic Indonesian grilled chicken dish. Prep time does not include marinating time.
For the Chicken
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
For the Rujak
- 1 small grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 dash chili powder
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1⁄2 under-ripe mango, peeled and cubed (3/4 cup)
- 1 tart green apple, cored and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced and seeded cucumber
- Note: if marinating chicken overnight, wait till a few hours before cooking chicken to prepare Rujak.
- Prepare Rujak: Peel and section the grapefruit, reserving the juice.
- Combine reserved juice with lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and chili powder.
- Add pineapple, mango, apple, and cucumber, spooning juices over the other fruits to coat.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- Prepare the chicken: Combine onion, garlic, soy, oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, ginger, and black pepper.
- Place chicken pieces in plastic bag inside a deep bowl, and add marinade to bag.
- Seal bag and marinate chicken for several hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Before cooking, drain marinade; pat chicken pieces dry.
- Place marinade in a saucepan and bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes; cool slightly before using as a baste on chicken.
- Place chicken pieces, bone side down, on a grill with medium-hot coals; grill 30-35 minutes, turning often and basting with marinade the last 10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with Rujak.