1/1 Photo of Indonesian Slow-Cooked Chicken (Ayam Manado)
1 hr 20 mins
amanda l b's Note:
This recipe was provided by a lovely man called Barnadi who ran a groovy little Balinese Restaurant in Richmond, Melbourne called Djakarta. This was our favourite thing on the menu, and we could never resist ordering it. I think the restaurant is still there, but last I heard Barnadi had left Australia and opened a restaurant in Bath, England. * Chicken thigh or breast fillets can be used if preferred, but meat cooked on the bone gives the best flavour. If using breast fillets, cut into pieces before cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 skinless chicken legs
- 2 large onions
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 20 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small chili (seeds removed or to taste)
- 3 cm square piece gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fried shallot (optional)
- 1Puree onions until they have the consistency of a thick paste. A blender gives the best results.
- 2Put oil in a deep pot. Add the onions and saute for about 1 minute.
- 3Add all the other ingredients into the pot, (except the chicken pieces, basil and fried shallots), and simmer for about 30 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent burning on bottom of the pot.
- 4When sauce is cooked and slightly thickened, reduce heat slightly and add chicken. Cook for further 30 minutes or until meat is virtually falling off bones. [If using breast fillets, reduce the cooking time and cook until the chicken is cooked through but still tender].
- 5Remove chicken from bones [a bit messy, but as stated, I find cooking on the bone gives the best flavour!].
- 6Stir through the basil leaves.
- 7Top with fried shallots. Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Slow-Cooked Chicken (Ayam Manado)
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.4
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 423.2 mg
- Sodium 1398.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 117.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves