Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Awesome--one of my favorites. My grandmother gave this recipe to my mom years ago and we have been enjoying it ever since. Savory, spicy and easy to make. Serve as a main dish, or can be used as an interesting side.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cubed
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, uncooked
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Fry bacon in skillet until crispy, remove bacon and crumble.
- Leave 1/3 of the grease in skillet, saving the other 2/3 for later.
- Cook 1 1/2 cups dry rice according to directions, set aside.
- Add chopped onion to bacon grease in skillet, cook until onions are tender.
- In a separate skillet, fry the steak.
- Drain grease when done (don't save).
- Over low heat, add steak, crumbled bacon, and rice to the onions and bacon grease, stirring to coat mixture.
- Add the extra bacon grease slowly if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Personally, I like to use about half of the saved grease.
- Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.
- Serve as a main dish or interesting side--enjoy!
err.. this may be a stupid question, but since Indonesia is the largest Muslim nation in the world, wherefore the bacon in this recipe? mcnairk