1 hr 20 mins
This Indonesian pork dish has as many variations in the Netherlands as hamburgers and pizza's do in America. This is my own variation, with the biggest difference that I add chili oil or paste to it. Babi Pangang is supposed to be a sweet spiced dish, not hot. The ginger, garlic and lemon juice are also often left out. Serve with rice and an Indonesian vegetable dish or as part of a Rijsttafel. Do use shoulder chops, you will need that bit of fat which they have. I do realise this sounds strange, but I also like this finely chopped in a salad stuffed pita with tzatziki. Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (ketjap Manis)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped as finely as possible
- chili oil (optional) or sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemons or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- some salt and pepper
- 2 lbs thick boneless pork shoulder chops
- 1Mix all the ingredients, except the meat, together.
- 2Cover the meat with this.
- 3Put in a plastic bag, close tightly and put in the fridge.
- 4Marinate for a minimum of 4 hours or, (preferred) leave overnight.
- 5Remove from the fridge half an hour before cooking.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Put the chops on a rack, there will be marinade in the bag, if you want you can use that for basting, put that over a baking tray which has some water in it or is lined with foil.
- 8Depending on the thickness of the chops roast them 25/30 on each side turning them over once.
- 9When they get too dark cover with aluminium foil.
- 10Serve the chops cut up in large pieces.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Pork-Babi Pangang
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.3
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 161.2 mg
- Sodium 279.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 39.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet soy sauce