Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Balinese recipe modified to use ingredients readily available in the West.
Make and share this Indonesian Peanut Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Puree peanut butter, garlic, chille peppers, ginger root, and brown sugar in food processor.
- Transfer mixture to heavy saucepan.
- Stir in coconut milk, soy sauce and molasses.
- Gently simmer, uncovered, until sauce is thick and full flavored, about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Let sauce cool to room temperature.
- Correct seasoning, adding soy sauce or lime juice to taste.
It is excellent but, instead of peanut butter, please use roasted peanuts and crush them in a mortar with a pestle or, in a pinch, a plastic bag with the side of a wine bottle. It really makes a big difference in authenticity!
The real deal - Thank you!!! Its just like you'd get in a good Indonesian restaurant! I had no food processor so I chopped the garlic, ginger and chilli finely and mashed it in a bowl with the peanut butter before transferring to a large saucepan and adding the coconut milk. Delicious.
Thanks so much, Brian! I thought this was a great, quick peanut sauce. My family said it tasted just like what we used to eat when we lived on Java. I used 5 Tablespoons of Kecap Manis instead of the soy sauce and molasses and I had to let my sauce cook for 50 minutes to thicken up. This is my new quick sate sauce. Love it!