Recipe by brianl
A Balinese recipe modified to use ingredients readily available in the West.
Top Review by RotiJala
It is excellent but, instead of peanut butter, please use roasted peanuts and crush them in a mortar with a pestle or, in a pinch, a plastic bag with the side of a wine bottle. It really makes a big difference in authenticity!
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 -5 hot chili peppers, chopped
- 2 inches fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree peanut butter, garlic, chille peppers, ginger root, and brown sugar in food processor.
- Transfer mixture to heavy saucepan.
- Stir in coconut milk, soy sauce and molasses.
- Gently simmer, uncovered, until sauce is thick and full flavored, about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Let sauce cool to room temperature.
- Correct seasoning, adding soy sauce or lime juice to taste.