Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
They freeze well. From The Fine Arts Cookbook II, Boston, MA. Mrs. Jan Fontein, the wife of the director of the Museum, submitted this recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup potato flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- salt, not too much as there is soy sauce in gravy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- In a large bowl, mix potato flakes, eggs, milk, onion, garlic, curry, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Let stand for a few minutes until flakes have absorbed liquids.
- Add ground beef and coconut flakes and mix well.
- Form meatballs that are the size of large marbles.
- Heat oil in frying pan and brown the meatballs all around in one layer in several batches.
- When all are browned, pour off some of the fat and add the soy sauce and water to the pan and scrape the bottom and sides of the pan throughly.
- Bring to a boil and add the all the browned meatballs. Simmer anywhere from at least 10 minutes to up to an hour.
- Turn regularly and serve with rice, green beans, cucumber salad and chutney.
I love these meatballs. They are very flavorful & moist. The only thing is now I have to triple the recipe cause my friends & family love them.