Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
They freeze well. From The Fine Arts Cookbook II, Boston, MA. Mrs. Jan Fontein, the wife of the director of the Museum, submitted this recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup potato flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- salt, not too much as there is soy sauce in gravy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- In a large bowl, mix potato flakes, eggs, milk, onion, garlic, curry, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Let stand for a few minutes until flakes have absorbed liquids.
- Add ground beef and coconut flakes and mix well.
- Form meatballs that are the size of large marbles.
- Heat oil in frying pan and brown the meatballs all around in one layer in several batches.
- When all are browned, pour off some of the fat and add the soy sauce and water to the pan and scrape the bottom and sides of the pan throughly.
- Bring to a boil and add the all the browned meatballs. Simmer anywhere from at least 10 minutes to up to an hour.
- Turn regularly and serve with rice, green beans, cucumber salad and chutney.
I love these meatballs. They are very flavorful & moist. The only thing is now I have to triple the recipe cause my friends & family love them.