1 hr 30 mins
They freeze well. From The Fine Arts Cookbook II, Boston, MA. Mrs. Jan Fontein, the wife of the director of the Museum, submitted this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup potato flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- salt, not too much as there is soy sauce in gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1In a large bowl, mix potato flakes, eggs, milk, onion, garlic, curry, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Let stand for a few minutes until flakes have absorbed liquids.
- 2Add ground beef and coconut flakes and mix well.
- 3Form meatballs that are the size of large marbles.
- 4Heat oil in frying pan and brown the meatballs all around in one layer in several batches.
- 5When all are browned, pour off some of the fat and add the soy sauce and water to the pan and scrape the bottom and sides of the pan throughly.
- 6Bring to a boil and add the all the browned meatballs. Simmer anywhere from at least 10 minutes to up to an hour.
- 7Turn regularly and serve with rice, green beans, cucumber salad and chutney.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.6
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 167.6 mg
- Sodium 820.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 33.2 g