Impress your friends with these beautiful spiced hard boiled eggs! Feel free to change or substitute ingredients depending on what is available, and on desired intensity of color. With food coloring this should work as well, but I did not try it!
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 guava, leaves (if available)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated or 2 tablespoons lemongrass, chopped
- 2 red onions, only red peel of (optional for more reddish color)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground (optional)
- 3 black tea bags
- Wash your eggs!
- Combine all ingredients (without black tea bags) in a saucepan.
- Bring slowly to a boil with enogh water to cover them.
- After 10 minutes lift the eggs out and place in cold water.
- When eggs are cool enough to handle, gently crack the shells with the back of a spoon until the entire shell is a network of cracks, do not peel!
- Return eggs in the pot; add teabags.
- Continue to boil until almost all the water has evaporated and eggs are dark brown. This step takes about 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally during cooking time!
- Peel eggs and, if possible, serve with Indonesian dishes.