1/1 Photo of Indonesian Liver ( Beef, Chicken or Pork )
If you read this recipe and think that it is hot you might like to know that the original recipe uses 14 small red peppers! Add more if you like. I only taste the sauce of this, because I don't like liver, and think it is hot enough. If you cannot get the lime leaves the only substitute I know of is lime zest. The flavors do improve if you make it in advance and then reheat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs beef liver or 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs pork liver or 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs chicken livers
- 1 1/2-2 cups coconut milk
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, the fleshy part bruised
For the spice paste
- 8 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled chopped
- 4 red chili peppers, chopped (I remove the seeds)
- 1 slice peeled chopped fresh galangal (3/4 inch approx) or 1 teaspoon ground galangal
- 1 slice peeled chopped fresh turmeric (3/4 inch approx) or 1/2 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 1 slice peeled chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, for frying
- 1Clean the liver and chop into chunks of approx 1 inch.
- 2Make the paste; put all the ingredients except for the oil in a blender or food processor and pulse to a paste.
- 3Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the paste and fry the paste together with the lime leaves and the lemon grass for 2 to 3 minutes Add the liver and fry for another 2 minutes.
- 4Then add the coconut milk, start with 1 ½ cup you can always add more to taste, simmer without covering for about 15 minutes, the sauce should be thick and the liver cooked, watch that you don’t over cook the liver Taste for salt and serve this with rice as a main dish or part of an Indonesian Rijsttafel.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Liver ( Beef, Chicken or Pork )
Serving Size: 1 (680 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 952.2
- Calories from Fat 389
- Total Fat 43.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 1374.9 mg
- Sodium 946.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 105.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves