Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This spice mixture is widely used in Indonesian cooking. Comes from an adaption of several spice recipes from Indonesia.
- 8 cardamom pods (white)
- 6 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 inches piece cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- In a heavy frying pan, dry-fry the first six ingredients till a rich aroma can be smelled. Do not allow to burn.
- When cool, remove cardamom seeds from pods and discard pods.
- Grind all roasted seeds. Add chili powder to resulting mixture. Use immediately or store in airtight jar away from light for no more than one month.