Recipe by Pippy
I have never made this without being rewarded with wonderful compliments, followed by adamant demands for the recipe. I got it from my friend Michaela, after adamantly demanding it myself! If making wings with the marinade, simply cook on a baking sheet after you take it out of the fridge.
Top Review by dale!
I was really worried about how this would turn out. The marinade seemed very strong and a bit odd. No need to worry, this produced fabulous tender and flavourful chicken. It was nicely sticky with sweet soft flesh. I used skinless chicken legs. I know it says to use with skin on but skinless was all I had and it still turned out really good but next time I will get skin on legs for this. This was very like somethimg my mum used to make. Great recipe.
- 8 -9 chicken pieces, skin on (I have use drums and thighs, all breasts, or wings, all delicious. Cooking times are for bone-in, sk)
- 1 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced ginger
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in small saucepan on medium heat for five minutes.
- Place chicken, skin side down, in appropriately sized casserole.
- Pour marinade over chicken and refrigerate overnight or for at LEAST 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook chicken, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, turn chicken pieces over, increase heat to 375, and cook for 30-40 minutes longer, basting occasionally.
- Make sure that the sauce does not cover chicken, and only reaches about halfway up.
- This will let the skin get crispy and gorgeously dark.
- I love this with rice (cooked with vegetable stock), fresh cilantro and lime juice, and mango salad (recipe posted).
- To freeze: Place chicken and sauce ingredients in a large freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge and proceed with cooking directions.