Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from week 15 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Ashmore and Cartier is my 15th stop. Because these two islands are really just a small, unpopulated marine preserve, this recipe actually comes from Indonesia. Traditional Indonesian fishermen have fishing rights in the waters off Ashmore and Cartier. I made this recipe as a side dish to go with clam satay (clam is one of the species harvested there).
For the rice
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces cabbage, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 2 shallots, chopped
For the spice paste
- 3 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 red chilies, seeded
- 1⁄2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- Put all the spice paste ingredients into a blender and pulse until you get a paste. Then shred the cabbage.
- Put the spice paste into a medium hot pan and stir until fragrant. Then add the cabbage and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the rice and sweet soy sauce, and stir until blended.
- Fry the eggs until the yolks are just firm, and top each serving of rice with a fried egg.