Recipe by Da Huz
More flavor and less grease than normal fried chicken! Note that lemon grass stalks may be hard to find... omit if you can't find them, or use a dash of lemon juice (not too much though). We grow our own.
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ounces gingerroot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 lemongrass, stalks finely chopped
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and lemon grass in a blender and process into a paste.
- Put soy sauce, water, and sugar into a large frying pan. Heat (to help sugar dissolve).
- Put chicken thighs in frying pan and cover with paste. Simmer, uncovered, until cooked (20-30 minutes). Turn about halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Heat enough vegetable oil to deep-fry the chicken. Oil must be VERY hot - almost to the smoke point.
- Remove chicken thighs, season with salt and pepper, and deep-fry 6-8 minutes until surface is crisp and golden.
- While deep-frying chicken, heat the remaining water and drippings to thicken. Use this as a dipping sauce for the chicken.