Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is actually a condiment that is served frequently by steet vendors in Yogyakarta. I got the recipe when I took a culinary course.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 shallot
- 1 small Thai chile
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 slice ginger (small)
- Cut the cucumber in half and remove the seeds.
- Slice the cucumber into little moon-shaped slices.
- Julien the carrot into very fine pieces.
- Coarsely chop the shallot and chile.
- Peel the ginger but leave the piece whole.
- Combine all of the ingredients and keep refrigerated for a few hours. Serve as a condiment to rice dishes or grilled sate.
Kind of a spicy yet zesty salad. I julienned the ginger instead of leaving it in one piece. This one actually got better as it was in the refrigerator as a leftover.