Recipe by NannyMarvel
Like porridge and roasted meat, griddle cakes are ancient preparations. Corn griddle cakes are a simple folk food in dozens of cultures. This recipe is from the Posh on Pico cafe in Los Angeles.
Top Review by GaylaJ
These were delicious! I subbed half-and-half for the cream and added extra shrimp (I chopped it in the food processor and used about 3/4 cup). Two large ears of corn yielded exactly 2 cups of kernels. I thought the batter was a bit thin, so I fried a couple of cakes to test and decided to add more flour. We really enjoyed these --thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup cooked shrimp, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 green onions, including tops, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the corn, eggs, flour and cream in a food processor and blend until the corn is finely chopped and appears creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. Remove to a bowl. Add the shrimp, celery, onions, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet.
- For each cake, add a heaping tablespoon of the corn mixture to the skillet. Keep the cakes separated and press to flatten slightly.
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown on the bottom, then turn and cook the other side until golden, about 3 minutes total.
- Continue until all the cakes are cooked, placing them on a platter and keeping them warm. Serve as an appetizer or side dish, garnished with cilantro leaves, if desired.