Recipe by Sheynath
A different coleslaw with an Asian flavor.
Top Review by l'ecole
Wonderful salad that's been a big hit at several potluck events this summer. One minor suggestion: if you back off on the oil (maybe a scant 1/4 cup instead of 1/3)and add a little lime juice, it's even more Indonesian-tasting!
- 946.36 ml cabbage, shredded
- 4 green onions or 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 cucumber, seeded and sliced in thin 1/2 moons
- 236.59 ml dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 44.37 ml cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml salad oil
- 78.07 ml rice vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss cabbage, green onions and cucumber together in large non-reactive bowl. Keep chilled while preparing dressing.
- Combine chili, garlic, curry powder, sugar, oil and vinegar in covered container. Whisk or shake to combine.
- Just before serving add peanuts and cilantro to the cabbage, pour dressing over all, toss lightly to combine.
- Salad does not keep well for very long, so do not dress until just prior to serving. It doesn't actually go bad, but the peanuts and cabbage soften and it's just not as good as fresh made. If taking to a pot luck or similar affair, I bring the dressing in a separate container to add at the last minute.