Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A different coleslaw with an Asian flavor.
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 green onions or 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 cucumber, seeded and sliced in thin 1/2 moons
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- Toss cabbage, green onions and cucumber together in large non-reactive bowl. Keep chilled while preparing dressing.
- Combine chili, garlic, curry powder, sugar, oil and vinegar in covered container. Whisk or shake to combine.
- Just before serving add peanuts and cilantro to the cabbage, pour dressing over all, toss lightly to combine.
- Salad does not keep well for very long, so do not dress until just prior to serving. It doesn't actually go bad, but the peanuts and cabbage soften and it's just not as good as fresh made. If taking to a pot luck or similar affair, I bring the dressing in a separate container to add at the last minute.
Wonderful salad that's been a big hit at several potluck events this summer. One minor suggestion: if you back off on the oil (maybe a scant 1/4 cup instead of 1/3)and add a little lime juice, it's even more Indonesian-tasting!
Made exactly as directed, using jalapeno, except I made the dressing in the blender. Very popular, fresh and tasty. It made so much, I kept the dressing and veggies covered separately overnight and took to a family dinner the next day. It was just as good, if not better. Yum. Thankyou!
I think this was a nice salad, perfect balance and the curry really added a nice touch. I used both green and red cabbage and added shredded carrot.