Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yet another coconut rice; however, this one is a bit different and the flavors are surprising to the tastebuds. You can put this in a rice mold, pop it out, and top with peanuts and/or toasted coconut. Serve alongside stirfried veggies. From Vegan Fire & Spice, by Robin Robertson
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves or 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons sugar (to taste)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- peanuts (garnish) (optional)
- toasted coconut (garnish) (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the scallions, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, mustard, red pepper flakes, cloves, and sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to mix evenly. Gently stir in the coconut. Season to taste with salt and pepper and heat until hot.
- Cover, and set aside for 5 minutes before serving. Top with peanuts and/or toasted coconut.
I loved this dish. It was very good with Indonesian Meatballs & Indonesian Fried Chicken. It was easy to make. Thank you for the excellent recipe Mindelicious.