Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Adjust all seasonings to taste. This can also be made in the oven.
Make and share this Indonesian Coconut Chicken Crock Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup good quality coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 green onions, chopped (to garnish)
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, crushed fennel and cinnamon.
- Rub mixture over chicken (if desired at this point the chicken can be marinated in the fridge for 3-4 hours, but it is not necessary).
- Place the chicken, and any leftover seasoning mixture, onions, coconut milk, water and lemon juice in a 4-quart slow cooker; cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours).
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serve with rice or hot cooked noodles.
- Note: for a thicker sauce use only 1/2 cup water instead of 1 cup.
I made this for my family and held my breath. Then I heard my kids saying things like "mmmm", "this is good, mom", and I had to check to see if they were actually my kids! I used 400 ml of coconut milk, about double the garlic, an extra tsp of cumin & corriander, and doubled the cinnamon & fennel. I also added about a tsp of turmeric for color. I didn't rub the chicken with the spices; instead I mixed everything into a bowl and poured it over the chicken. About an hour before cooking time was done I took the meat off the bones, then returned the meat to the sauce to finish cooking. I think next time the addition of some green pepper, carrot, and eggplant would be great along with some heat, and maybe some thai basil. This was a great dish. Thank you for making dinner nice again!
I made this recipe on the stove top instead of the crockpot. I thought it was little bland so I added some chicken stock and it tasted much better, next time I will tweak the amount of spices. I liked the fact that I always have these ingredients in the house and don't have to go to the grocery store.
Pretty good, but I think the spices got cooked out in the crockpot. Next time I would add some more of the spice mixture closer to the finish time. Also will follow advice about cutting water down (or may just use ALL coconut milk for liquid). I used thighs also, because they are meatier! A good recipe for use in the RV, but I think I will try it again at home, in the oven!