Prep 4 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This is very yummy, and the smells while it is cooking are so inviting.
Make and share this Indonesian Chicken, Peanut Butter Sauce (Slow Cooker) recipe from Food.com.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (preferably Kikkoman, or any real one, not VH)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup frozen peas (I personally don't put the peas in)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- some chopped chives (for garnish)
- some chopped peanuts (for garnish)
- Place the chicken, carrots, onions and garlic in the slow cooker. in a small bowl, combine water, peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger and chili flakes. Pour on top of chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours (or high for 2 hours), or until chicken is cooked and veggies are tender.
- Add peas and wine vinegar. Cover and continue cooking on low for 10 more minutes**. Serve with some chives and peanuts on top.
- **Personally, I don't continue cooking. I just add the white wine vinegar, mix and serve.
This turned out to be a decent meal, although the sauce was a bit too rich for me. I would cut down on the amount of peanut butter. Also, I'd increase the cooking time to at least 4 hours on high. I did 6 hours on low and the onions were still crunchy, which ruined the texture of the dish. Otherwise, it's a good recipe, especially with some added palm sugar.
The dish was great but lacked a depth of flavour, I would perhaps add some kecap manis and palm sugar to the jug and sambal but that's because I like it hot and next time I think a few potatoes would go well to bulk it up for the kids but delicious anyway
So delicious and easy! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, then shredded them up once they were cooked. I served it with rice stick noodles. My husband loves it! We will make this often! Thank you!