Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A spicy-sweet chicken dish that has a very unique flavor from the galangal root. Galangal can be hard to find, so ginger makes a decent substitute. The dish will taste different though, and the peppery-pine flavor of the galangal is what really makes the chicken taste special.
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon galangal, peeled and chopped
- 1 lemongrass, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Using a mortar & pestle (or a food processor), grind the shallots, garlic, habanero pepper, galangal, lemon grass, turmeric, and macadamia nuts into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat, then stir in the spice paste and fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the fish sauce and sugar and stir for 3-4 minutes, or until the paste starts to brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, cilantro, and lime sauce and cook for 8 more minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, and cook until heated through, Serve over brown rice.
Delicious! I altered the recipe very slightly - used fresh turmeric (just because I had some), added half a can of chopped tomatoes purees in blender rather than tomato sauce and only added the lime juice and cilantro (coriander) at the end because I prefer them to give a freshness. I'd definitely recommend the recipe, different to anything id had before.
Holly Cow!!! This is spicy...hubby ate everything on his plate...I found that 6-7 bites was plenty for me...it has a really intense flavor...I used the ginger...and served it over white rice...this is a dish that everyone needs to make at least once...keep in mind that turmeric will stain...ask me how I know...oh...I thought I had macadamia nuts...but no they were hazelnuts...worked great really didn't taste them but it gave the dish a nice crunch...thanks for posting it...=)
Wow, this is an excellent curry!!! I used less chicken than directed but all the sauce, we like sauce :) So much flavour, this is deeply satisfying, I'll be making this often! I couldnt get the galangal, I'll keep looking, in the meantime used ginger. I really enjoyed the complexities of taste here, and I also enjoyed that it was quickly prepared, an excellent meal for any time of the week. I did use white rice, because we prefer it. Thank you rp, excellent recipe, made for PRMR tag game