1/1 Photo of Indonesian Chicken in Coconut Gravy (Opor Ayam)
I started to learn how to cook Indonesian food and this one is a keeper. It's a mild chicken curry style dish that is a fav among kids here. My sister-in-law gave me this recipe and it turned out pretty good the first time I tried. Hopefully others will enjoy this too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large chicken breasts (so that's about 4 individual breasts)
- 1 lime
- 400 -600 ml coconut milk, depending on how thick you prefer it to be
- 7 eggs
- 5 pieces firm tofu, cut each diagonally so you end up with 10 pieces altogether
Seasoning to blend together
- 10 shallots
- 10 pieces garlic
- 7 pieces candlenuts
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pieces lemongrass
- 5 -7 fresh lime leaves
- 2 cm gingerroot or 2 galangal, bruised soaked in a bit of lemon juice for a few minutes
- 3 pieces fresh bay leaves
- 1Cut chicken into smaller pieces. If using boneless, skinless chicken breast then cut into bite size pieces. Squeeze the juice of one lime over chicken and let sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- 2Boil the eggs and peel, set aside.
- 3Sauté the tofu in oil until lightly brown.
- 4Blend the shallots, garlic, candlenuts, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender until it forms a smooth paste.
- 5Sauté the paste in oil (about 1-2 Tbsp.) for a few minutes.
- 6Once bumbu is sautéed, add 1500 ml water and chicken.
- 7Stir occasionally until it comes to a boil.
- 8Add 2 pieces of lemon grass that have been bruised, 5-7 pieces of lime leaves, galangal (about the size of thumb, bruised) & 3 bay leaves.
- 9Bring to a boil… add tofu and eggs.
- 10For extra flavor you can sauté sliced shallots to sprinkle in once cooked.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Chicken in Coconut Gravy (Opor Ayam)
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.3
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 371.9 mg
- Sodium 772.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 30.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lime leaves
fresh bay leaves