Recipe by Love-is-good
I started to learn how to cook Indonesian food and this one is a keeper. It's a mild chicken curry style dish that is a fav among kids here. My sister-in-law gave me this recipe and it turned out pretty good the first time I tried. Hopefully others will enjoy this too.
- 2 large chicken breasts (so that's about 4 individual breasts)
- 1 lime
- 400 -600 ml coconut milk, depending on how thick you prefer it to be
- 7 eggs
- 5 pieces firm tofu, cut each diagonally so you end up with 10 pieces altogether
Seasoning to blend together
- 10 shallots
- 10 pieces garlic
- 7 pieces candlenuts
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pieces lemongrass
- 5 -7 fresh lime leaves
- 2 cm gingerroot or 2 galangal, bruised soaked in a bit of lemon juice for a few minutes
- 3 pieces fresh bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces. If using boneless, skinless chicken breast then cut into bite size pieces. Squeeze the juice of one lime over chicken and let sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Boil the eggs and peel, set aside.
- Sauté the tofu in oil until lightly brown.
- Blend the shallots, garlic, candlenuts, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender until it forms a smooth paste.
- Sauté the paste in oil (about 1-2 Tbsp.) for a few minutes.
- Once bumbu is sautéed, add 1500 ml water and chicken.
- Stir occasionally until it comes to a boil.
- Add 2 pieces of lemon grass that have been bruised, 5-7 pieces of lime leaves, galangal (about the size of thumb, bruised) & 3 bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil… add tofu and eggs.
- For extra flavor you can sauté sliced shallots to sprinkle in once cooked.