Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe calls for 'tauco' which can be either salted black beans or salted yellow beans. Either can be found in a Chinese market as salted black bean or salted yellow bean sauce. Or you can track down Indonesian salted yellow beans and smash 'em up yourself. Thai markets carry them.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces; wash, and dry.
- Slice the onions.
- Pound the garlic and the tauco into a smooth paste.
- Fry the onions in the oil for half a minute.
- Add the tauco, then the chicken.
- Stir well, so that every part of the chicken is coated with tauco.
- Put in the soya sauce and the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover, and simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
- Then take the lid off, and cook for a further 5 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Serve hot.