1 hr 10 mins
Jakey Bakey's Note:
A flavorful soup with curry powder and coconut milk, this recipe comes from The New England Soup Factory Cookbook (wish I could take credit for it, but I can't!). Although the original recipe calls for vegetable stock (this is a vegetarian soup), I generally use chicken stock because I think it gives it a richer flavor. Adjust spiciness and sweetness by varying amount of hot pepper flakes and honey accordingly. Make sure you use a good quality canned coconut milk -- in my experience, powdered coconut milk isn't a good substitute. I love this as a soup, but it's also great as a sauce/gravy over white rice on its own. Yummy -- and I generally am not fond of really spicy foods. But this yummy and packs just enough of a kick!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
- 14.79 ml minced ginger
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1360.77 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 9.85 ml yellow curry powder
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 1892.72 ml vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 118.29 ml sherry wine
- 118.29 ml honey (plus more to taste)
- 2 (907.18 g) can coconut milk
- 44.37 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat stockpot, add olive oil, garlic, ginger, onion, celery, and carrots.
- 2Saute for 10 minutes.
- 3Add curry, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, sherry and stock.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and let simmer for 35 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and add honey, coconut milk, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- 7Puree the soup in the pot using a hand blender (or in small batches in a real blender).
- 8Add more honey if you like it sweeter.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.0
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 153.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 27.2 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: