Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is vegetarian comfort food, pure and simple. A Simon Rimmer recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 200 g tomato puree
- 1⁄8 cup madeira wine
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 3 liters fresh vegetable stock, hot (I use a cube)
- 24 baby onions, unskinned
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, cored and cut into batons
- 3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 baking potatoes, very finely sliced
- 25 g butter, melted, for brushing
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion 5 minutes, stirring. Add tomato puree and cook 8 minutes more, still stirring.
- Stir in Madeira and boil for a frew minutes. Add barley, Tabasco, and 1 litre stock. Bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes to reduce by one-third.
- Bring remaining stock to boil in a large saucepan and add the baby onions. Cook 5 minutes, drain, and cool in cold water. Peel the skins off the onions. Blanch the other vegetables (potatoes seperately) for 3 minutes. Lift into a colander to drain well. Season and set aside.
- Prehat grill to medium high. Put veg (exept potatoes in 6 X 300ml serving dishes. Spoon in the sauce and top with overlapping potato slices. Brush with butter and grill on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes until golden and potatoes just start to crisp up.