Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Everyday Italian
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium summer squash, finely chopped
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lb fresh plain lasagna sheet
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, halved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and squash cook for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat when all vegetables are completely cooked but still have a good crunch. Allow to cool.
- Using a 6-inch round cookie cutter, cut circles out of the lasagna sheets. You will need 18 circles. Coat the bottom of 6 (6-inch) gratin dishes with a teaspoon of tomato sauce in each. Place a circle of pasta on the bottom of each ramekin. Rinse the beans with water and season with salt and pepper. Divide the beans between each ramekin. Next, divide the spinach between the ramekins. Place a second layer of pasta on top and gently press down. Divide the sauteed vegetables among the ramekins and top with a tablespoon of tomato sauce in each. Place the third layer of pasta in each ramekin and coat with a tablespoon of tomato sauce. Sprinkle ramekins with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and top each with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place gratin dishes on top. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until brown and bubbling.